Long time no post

It has been quiet on this blog for four months now, and that’s because I haven't have that many days at work. My family has caught almost every bug there was at our daughter’s daycare, so we have been on and off sick this cold season. The project has had some progress, though - but I decided to do my research instead of blogging on what I could have been doing…

Actually, quite a lot of things are off my to-do list. First of all, the database is finally there (nicely hidden behind the log-in), so now I can start testing in order to get a database tailored to the data I collect. Meanwhile, I have seen and taken notes on all manuscripts off my first priority list. Having seen those manuscripts also means that I can see clearly now the direction in which the project is going. I have tested some of my preliminary results in a paper I gave at Bonn University - my alma mater - and received positive feedback. The paper also forced me to complete my background reading and finally adjust my terminology.

Now that I’m writing about it, it actually sounds pretty good. However, I also see the many aspects of my work that are on hold: completing my two book projects, for example, or writing my blog posts. I feel that I don’t get as much done as I should, and I feel torn between the need to take care of myself or our sick toddler, and the project plan urging me to complete certain tasks by a certain date. And although I know that adjustments to the plan are necessary, and that sometimes you need to rest in order to perform better later, I still feel stressed and under a lot of pressure to be a perfect Early Career Researcher and mother - and partner, and daughter, and…

While I certainly cannot control when the next bug will hit us, I can at least try to make some changes to my to-do list, so that it’s less demanding and feasible. As for my main activities in February, March and April, I will work on the database and hopefully finish the transcriptions, which will also need to be proofread. I will try to get an article submitted, that has been lying around for about a year, although it doesn’t need much work. Also, I have started a collaboration with Gottskálk Jensson on Latin verse in Icelandic manuscripts and consider turning the Bonn paper into a publication. Last but not least, I am revising this homepage and will try to publish new blog posts more regularly, though not as often as when I started out.